The Microbiome Diet by Raphael Kellman - Book Review

My attitude toward diet books is generally skeptical. Nevertheless, in my microbiome-themed readings, I picked up The Microbiome Diet by Raphael Kellman, MD, and I must say that it is the best how-to-improve-your-microbiome-and-overall-health book so far.
You can't argue with Kellman's success rate. The Kellman Center in NYC has treated thousands of patients with an enviable success rate, for conditions ranging from gastrointestinal disorders, fibromyalgia, fatigue, autoimmune disease, neurological conditions, lyme disease, thyroid issues, and they are also conducting research into ways to ameliorate cancer and autism.

As with many such books, it's the usual 1-2-3: change your diet while taking steps to get more exercise and improve your emotional health by managing stress and cultivating appreciation... for your food! Kellman encourages you to take 20-40 minutes to chew your food and be grateful for all that makes your meal possible. This will help your parasympathetic nervous system take over so that you relax during mealtime (stressed-out eating is bad for your gut), lead to better digestion, and a feeling of fullness before you have overeaten. All good suggestions!

As for the diet itself, it could be that all these reads are wearing down my resistance, but Kellman has finally convinced me to give avoidance of these typically problematic foods a try:

The DON'T EAT FOR 21 DAYS list: dairy, soy, wheat, sugar, alcohol, and eggs.

I've already given up sugar and alcohol, except for small indulgences during a couple of dinners with friends, so that part won't be hard. But it has been my habit for many years to have either eggs, wheat or dairy with every breakfast, and at most lunches and dinners. I had hoped it wouldn't come to this, but even with more vegetables, fermented foods, and higher levels of exercise, I am still fighting allergies and fatigue. It doesn't take much indulgence for joint pain to return, my hives and eczema are not gone, and I still struggle with getting a good night's sleep. So I'm willing to give this a shot.

The Microbiome Diet works in 3 stages:

  • Phase I: eat from a specific list of foods for 21 days while avoiding "reactive" foods to give your gut a vacation and an chance to heal and regain balance.
  • Phase II: eat from an expanded list for 4 weeks, during which time your metabolism should experience a boost. Only 90% compliance is expected as far as avoiding problematic foods.
  • Phase III: the maintenance plan. Continue to emphasize the better foods for the sake of your health and a stable weight, but only 70% compliance is required to maintain the benefits.
Yesterday, I ate fish, lentils, avocado, an apple, chick peas, cucumber, papaya, and walnuts for snacks in compliance with the program, but couldn't resist a ripe banana, which I didn't see on the list. I avoided the "DON'T EAT" foods, and felt that my allergies were a bit better, although I did still take a short nap in the afternoon. It could be my imagination, but the dark circles I usually have under my eyes seem a bit lighter. As the book promises, I did not feel hungry on this diet except before mealtimes, so I think this is doable.

In the next posting, I will list the main features of the Phase I diet for easy reference. Ciao!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Cancel a Gym Membership in Alberta

Henna Hair Coloring Tips: Lush vs. Light Mountain

Review of Calgary Summer Camps: Royal City Soccer, JunioTech, Quickdraw, STEM Learning Lab