How to Cancel a Gym Membership in Alberta

Although I signed up for a fitness club membership with the best of intentions, it just wasn't working out. Sure, kickboxing for 30 minutes (https://www.30minutehit.com/locations/gym/calgary-sw-kickboxing-boxing-fitness.html) was a great workout, but it was a little too hard on my joints and the balls of my feet. That, and too-frequent corrections from my trainer were undermining my confidence and making my form worse!


No, that's not me in the picture. But enough about me.

If you want to cancel a gym membership in Alberta, here are a few pointers.

Alberta law says that you can cancel a direct sales contract within 10 days of receiving a copy.

Therefore, if you weren't given a copy of your membership contract, it follows that you can then cancel at any time. The Fair Trading Act of Alberta, section 27, says, "A consumer may, without any reason, cancel a direct sales contract at any time from the date the sales contract is entered into until, subject to the regulations, 10 days after the consumer receives a copy of the written sales contract."

Most fitness clubs will allow you to cancel with a doctor's note.

Just write a short letter and take it to your doctor. Put your address at the top of the letter, add the date, and then add the address of the fitness club. Briefly explain your reasons for cancellation, such as strain or injury, then sign and print your name. Your doctor can add their comments at the bottom of your letter, and stamp it with the doctor's office address information. This approach worked for me.

Many gyms include a cancellation clause in case you move.

Many fitness contracts allow you to cancel in case you move too far away for regular visits to the gym to be convenient. Write a letter and include a bill showing your new address or other proof of your move.

You shouldn't have to continue paying membership dues if it's not working out.

However, if you decide to cancel, a happy ending to the relationship is best achieved by a personal visit to the manager, or at least by sending a complete letter. Very few gyms will allow you to phone in or email a cancellation request, so show some backbone and just take care of it! Find an exercise program that you're happier with.



Dree Caddis is a student at Bow Valley College (Legal Assistant program) who started this blog to show that she can write! You can share your experiences or send questions to dreecaddis@gmail.com. Sending material implies consent to use and share, while names will be changed to respect privacy.


Comments

  1. Can i cancel a gym contract that i just signed 7 days ago? I haven’t started on the program and i don’t have a copy of my contract.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often. kündigen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Henna Hair Coloring Tips: Lush vs. Light Mountain

Review of Calgary Summer Camps: Royal City Soccer, JunioTech, Quickdraw, STEM Learning Lab