Matcha Tea, Stevia and Cream - My New Goto Drink

Having to cut out sugar and caffeine can be depressing. Why let go of what you love?

Don't get me started about green coffee beans roasted over a fire, fresh ground and hand poured through a simple filter. Or taramisu cheesecake or black licorice candy. Giving up sweets and coffee seemed just too sad.

Health problems lead to desperate measures, however, and the discovery of a pick-me-up that is actually good for you has been my salvation.

First, matcha green tea is a gorgeous color:



It is loaded with catechin, a powerful antioxidant, and it is anti-aging and anti-cancer, while boosting memory, concentration and endurance. It supports your immune system, detoxifies, and lowers the bad kind of cholesterol. Some say it will help you lose weight, not that I care. My best memories of matcha tea were inextricably linked to large portions of green tea ice cream.

Green tea ice cream has sugar! I knooow.

Now, let's bring stevia into the picture:


Also a verdant green, stevia also has amazing health benefits. The steviosides in unrefined stevia help to maintain healthy blood sugar and blood pressure levels. It's good for your heart and immunity, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer. If you consume it in massive quantities, it may reduce your fertility, but I consider that another plus. Some say it will help you lose weight, not that I care.

One happy day, I combined a small spoonful of ground stevia, another small spoonful of matcha tea powder, boiling water, and a blob of whipping cream in a cup. I stirred it. The result was something like this, minus the clever photography:


Tastes a bit like molten green tea ice cream, sweet and energizing like coffee!

My new problem was how to enjoy my new habit more cheaply. Turns out that Amazon sells bulk matcha tea powder (the stuff from Japan is best) and unrefined ground stevia can be ordered in bulk from http://www.steviacanada.com/

As the good doctor said in Jurassic Park I, "Life... finds a way." Cheers!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Cancel a Gym Membership in Alberta

Henna Hair Coloring Tips: Lush vs. Light Mountain

Review of Calgary Summer Camps: Royal City Soccer, JunioTech, Quickdraw, STEM Learning Lab